Southern Girl Creations

Monday, July 18, 2011

Blueberry Crumb Cake

I had several cups of left over blueberries that had been glaring at me every time I opened the refrigerator door. I think they were saying "Hey Lady do something with us before we go bad". I started hunting for a recipe and came up with the following after combining a few that I found in a couple of different cook books.  I had to combine different recipes because I seemed to be missing at least one ingredient from each separate one and I had already made up my mind that I was going to stay in my comfy clothes and not fix my hair or makeup all day.  So, I was not going to the store. 

This turned out so good.  I think that it is my new favorite blueberry recipe.



Blueberry Crumb Cake

Cake
5 Tablespoons of butter
3/4 Cup of granulated white sugar
1 Egg
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 Cups flour
2 and 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup of milk
2 Cups of blueberries (washed and patted dry)

Crumb Topping
6 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of granulated white sugar
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Combine the dry ingredients of the cake except sugar and set aside (Flour, Baking powder, Salt).  Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture.  Alternate adding the milk and flour and mixing well.  Gently fold in your blueberries.  Pour batter in your greased baking dish. 

Mix together your topping ingredients.  I used a pastry cutter to cut these together.  Make sure it is nice and crumbly.  You may even have to get your hands into it.  Sprinkle this mixture over the top of your cake. 
batter.   Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. 

I had to have the first piece while it was still warm it is sooooo good!  Add a little butter on top for a extra treat! I ate it for breakfast...  Eating something called "cake" for breakfast sounds bad but it  has made smile today...
~Sherry~

p.s. I am really excited about my next post.  I will give you a hint... It is a true treasure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment